Throughout the month, restaurants across Portland are offering special vegan dishes and menus to benefit the international Veganuary organization and local non-profits
LAS VEGAS (January 7, 2019) – This month, it’s easier than ever for people to go vegan. Presented by Vegans, Baby, and in partnership with Bunny Alexandre who runs Portland Vegans on Instagram, Veganuary’s inaugural year in Portland has seen incredible interest and excitement from the vegan community about expanding options in the area. With the goal of making vegan life accessible and approachable, Vegans, Baby’s monthlong celebration features restaurants offering special vegan menus designed to give vegan and vegan-curious diners the opportunity to get to know chefs and restaurants, and for restaurants to learn more about the vegan demand and expand their options.
Nearly 10 Portland restaurants are participating including Sizzle Pie, Cantina Xica, Corina’s Bakery, Nectar Café and Carioca Bowl.
Special menu offerings include:
- Sizzle Pie: Rotating Pizza Slices (three vegan slices daily per location, each location has different slices) that can include:
- STEVE CABALLERO – vegan pepperoni, Field Roast Italian sausage, green peppers, white onion and tofu cheese dollops
- Thunder and Lightning – Violife or Follow Your Heart Vegan “Mozzarella” and vegan pepperoni
- Spiral Tap – creamy caramelized onion spread, house marinara red sauce and a light dusting of nutritional yeast
- Buffalo 666 – shredded buffalo jackfruit, choice of Violife or Follow Your Heart Vegan “Mozzarella,” red onions, fresh green onions and a drizzle of vegan ranch and wing sauce
- Vegan Angel of Doom – Violife or Follow Your Heart Vegan “Mozzarella,” fresh jalapeños, pineapple, shaved almonds and fresh cilantro
- Cantina Xica: Cauliflower NaXos and Chopped Kale Salad
- Corina’s Bakery: Vinter Salad (chop salad), Sunshine Citrus Tart and The Hummerrulle (lobster roll)
- Nectar Café: Spiced Persimmon Waffle and Roasted Beet Sandwich
- Carioca Bowl: Golden Chai, Brazilian Cheesebread, Samba Bowl and The Trifecta Bowl
For a full list of participating restaurants and menus, please click here.
A portion of the proceeds will benefit the international Veganuary organization as well as local non-profit Off to Pasture Farm Sanctuary.
“I created the vegan dining month to provide people an opportunity to dip their toes into vegan dining and to encourage restaurants to offer more vegan options,” says Diana Edelman, Vegans, Baby founder. “I really want people to see that dining out isn’t hard if you want to try vegan food, and I want restaurants to see that the more vegan options they offer, the more people will come through their doors.”
“Veganuary is creating a new wave of consumers with strong ethics and a big appetite,” said Veganuary International’s US Director Wendy Matthews. “This a real opportunity for restaurants to improve and expand their vegan offerings for the growing climate-conscious audience. We’re delighted that Vegans, Baby has inspired Las Vegas, Portland and San Diego to rise to this challenge – helping people to live more lightly on the earth while still eating food they love!”
“Vegans, Baby’s mission is to make vegan dining more approachable, and that expands beyond the city limits of Las Vegas,” Edelman said. “Portland and San Diego both have such vibrant dining scenes with incredible vegan communities and options. I’m thrilled to add these cities – and hopefully more in the future – to the vegan dining month roster and continue working with wonderful restaurants, partners, non-profits and more to further make this mission a reality.”
About Vegans, Baby
Vegans, Baby, launched by Diana Edelman in May 2016, is a multi-faceted endeavor to make being vegan in Las Vegas and beyond more approachable and easier by showcasing the vegan culinary movement and options via an online guide; community events and dinner curations; a vegan dining month uniting restaurants with vegan/vegan-curious/foodies in Las Vegas and other cities that benefits community nonprofits; local and international vegan tours; and the Las Vegas Vegan Food Guide 2019. Penned by Edelman, the guide covers the best vegan dining options in the city and is available for purchase on Amazon, the Nook, iTunes and more. Vegans, Baby is a partner with the world-renowned James Beard Foundation, curating Vegas vegan dinners regularly at the James Beard House in New York, as well as curator for the vegan culinary experience at the three-day Las Vegas music/food/arts festival, Life is Beautiful. Edelman also provides consulting services for restaurants and businesses seeking to extend their outreach to the vegan community. She frequently travels around the world to speak on the vegan lifestyle and how to be a positive leader for change. For more information about events, guides and consultations, visit Vegansbaby.com.