Grand Opening week partnerships will feature Blue Star Donuts, Nossa Familia Coffee, Brew Dr. Kombucha and Pine State Biscuits and raise money for local non-profits
PORTLAND, Ore. – May 6, 2019 – Ruby Jewel Ice Cream will open its fourth location on Saturday, May 11, 2019 from noon to 11 p.m. at 1650 NW 23 rd Avenue with a weeklong Grand Opening celebration scheduled for May 13-May 19. With 1,600 square feet, the new location will focus on their popular Ruby Jewel ice cream sandwiches and a do-it-yourself approach to creating unique flavor combinations, offering customers freshly baked cookies to pair with seasonal or classic ice cream flavors. The store will also feature an open test kitchen for founder Lisa Herlinger to create unique, small-batch ice cream flavors with local chefs and food and beverage partners, train staff and teach community-wide classes.
“Opening in Northwest Portland allows us to be part of a thriving neighborhood and create a store with a playful vision, more like an ‘ice cream wonderland’ than a typical scoop shop,” says Herlinger. “We’re thrilled to support Chapman Elementary School and Friendly House during our opening month and help them continue their critical work educating and supporting both children and seniors in our community.”
Opening Week Events
Ruby Jewel will collaborate with some favorite partners for daily ice cream specials the week of May 13-19, 2019, including Blue Star Donuts, Pine State Biscuits, Brew Dr. Kombucha and Nossa Familia Coffee.
Grand Opening Week will culminate in a Family Weekend with a coloring contest, stickers and balloons. Fifteen percent of ice cream sales from the Family Weekend will benefit Chapman Elementary School and Friendly House. Grand opening hours are noon to 10 p.m. Monday to Thursday and noon to 11 p.m. Friday and Saturday.
Grand Opening Week Schedule – May 13-19
- May 13-19 – Life of Pie customers can show their receipt for 20% off a custom ice cream sandwich. Good through May 31, 2019.
- Monday, May 13, 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. – Nossa Familia Coffee will sample their iced coffees and Ruby Jewel will donate 15% of proceeds from all coffee-flavored ice cream treats to P:ear, benefiting homeless youth programs.
- Tuesday, May 14, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. – The first 100 customers will receive a free upgrade to their scoop with the addition of a Blue Star Donut to make a donut ice cream sandwich. Fifteen percent of proceeds will support the Portland Shriner’s Hospital.
- Wednesday, May 15, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. – Brew Dr. Kombucha will be sampling kombucha and a shared loved for real ingredients. Enter your best idea for a kombucha-flavored ice cream. Fifteen percent of proceeds will benefit Brew Dr. Kombucha’s 1% for the Planet campaign.
- Thursday, May 16, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. – The first 100 customers will receive a free upgrade to their scoop with the addition of a Pine State Biscuit to make a biscuit ice cream sandwich.
- Saturday and Sunday, May 18 and 19 – Join us for a weekend of family activities including stickers, a coloring contest and balloons. Fifteen percent of ice cream proceeds will benefit Chapman Elementary School and Friendly House.
Whimsical Design Planned for New Store
Herlinger collaborated with Portland-based Design Department, the firm behind the recent Keys Lounge
and Bamboo Sushi restaurant designs. Together, they have reimagined four whimsical “rooms” created
to mimic the main sections of a home, separated not by walls, but by unique furnishings and rug designs
hand painted onto polished concrete. The room designs will be unveiled when the shop opens in May. “I
love the idea of separate seating areas within the larger shop,” says Herlinger. “The design challenge
was transforming a contemporary space into one that is cozy and vintage, and we’ve had fun choosing
furniture and accessories, and designing custom wallpaper. I want the new store to surprise and delight
customers of all ages.”
About Ruby Jewel Ice Cream
Ruby Jewel was founded in 2004 at the Portland Farmers’ Market by sisters Lisa Herlinger and Becky
Burnett and has grown to include four Portland ice cream shops. The shops feature ice cream
sandwiches made to order; ice cream cones and sundaes with rotating seasonal ice cream flavors; and
classic ice cream flavors, including Oregon Strawberry, Cookies & Cream, Caramel with Salted Dark
Chocolate, Oregon Mint Flake and Double Chocolate. Ruby Jewel ice cream is proudly made using local,
thoughtfully sourced ingredients; supports community and educational organizations, local farmers and
makers; and creates a work environment that is fair and equitable. Ruby Jewel ice cream sandwiches are
available at grocers and attractions throughout the Pacific Northwest, including New Seasons Market,
Whole Foods, PCC Community Markets, Food Front, Fred Meyer, Safeway, and seasonally at the MODA
Center, Century Link Field (Seattle), OMSI and the Oregon Zoo.
For more information and store locations, visit Ruby Jewel online at www.rubyjewel.com, or follow us
on Instagram and Facebook: @RubyJewelIceCream.