The World’s Most Elegant Picnic Celebrates 5 Years in Portland!
Portland, OR (July 21, 2017) – A leading summer event in Paris for nearly 30 years, Le Dîner en Blanc is well on its way to becoming THE summer tradition in Portland! On August 12, 2017, this elegant and secret affair celebrates its 5th anniversary in Portland, Oregon, and the Hosts are already hard at work in preparing another magical night for this year’s guests.
There’s Still Time To Participate:
Participation in this unique event happens in three stages: Phase 1 is for members who attended the previous year; Phase 2 is for new members who are referred by Phase I attendees, and Phase 3 is for people who signed up on the waiting list. Phase 3 opens on July 26, so there’s still time to be part of this milestone event. Please register now to get on the waiting list at portland.dinerenblanc.com/
Year after year, the breathtaking scene of thousands of white-clad guests descending upon one of the cities most prestigious public spaces becomes more extraordinary for guests and passer-by alike. As always, the location is not revealed to guests until the day of the event, making for a spectacular surprise and exciting evening that includes live performances from famed artists and musicians, lively conversation and delicious food and beverage.
“For a picnic enthusiast, this is one of the most enchanting events of the summer—from the dreamy setting to the deliciously creative alfresco feasts that guests conjure up (not to mention the wild dancing and twilight sparklers). You’ll inevitably end up sharing with your neighbors/new best friends, so go ahead and pack that whole layer cake, there won’t be leftovers!” – Jen Stevenson, co-founder of the Portland Picnic Society and co-author of The Picnic: Recipes and Inspiration from Basket to Blanket.
This year’s Le Dîner en Blanc – Portland has a new hosting team composed of Julia Raymond, Melony Beaird and Sonali Shivdasani, three passionate event planners and food lovers with deep roots in the city’s illustrious culinary scene.
“We’re constantly enamored with Portland’s uniqueness: its big city benefits – nationally recognized restaurant and food scene, museums, shops and more – as well as its proximity to amazing resources like the Columbia River Gorge and Mt. Hood,” says co-host Julia Raymond. “Our city comes alive during the summer and an event like Dîner en Blanc gives us an opportunity to embrace and celebrate that energy,” adds Raymond.
To maintain the uniqueness of Le Dîner en Blanc as well as staying true to tradition, guests must observe certain requirements and follow a few key rules:
- Once confirmed, each guest’s participation becomes mandatory, regardless of weather conditions. This is a rain or shine event.
- Dress code: head-to-toe in elegant and white only attire. Originality is encouraged as long as it is stylish and tasteful.
- Table setting: all white! Color is allowed in your floral arrangement only.
- Champagne and/or wine only. Beer and hard liquor are prohibited.
- As per Portland, Oregon alcohol laws/regulations (OLCC), guests cannot bring their own alcohol. Guests wishing to enjoy some wine or Champagne during the event must reserve online through the Dîner en Blanc’s e-store. Guests are welcome to bring their own non-alcoholic beverages.
- To ensure that the location secret is kept undisclosed until last minute, guests meet at assigned departure location and are escorted by a Dîner en Blanc volunteer.
- In order to leave the event location as clean as when they arrived, guests are required to leave with all their belongings, leftovers and litter.
Guests must bring:
- A table, two white chairs, white tablecloth.
- A picnic basket comprising fine food and proper stemware and white dinnerware.
- A catered picnic basket option by Portland’s beloved Olympia Provisions, which can be picked up on site, will be available for those who do not wish to pack their own. Guests wishing to do so must reserve online must reserve online through the Dîner en Blanc’s e-store.
For full details on the event’s rules and regulations, please visit portland.dinerenblanc.
Le Dîner en Blanc – Portland gratefully acknowledges Macy’s and Olympia Provisions as official local partners of this 5th-anniversary edition of Le Dîner en Blanc in Portland.
About Le Dîner en Blanc:
Launched in Paris in 1988 by François Pasquier and a handful of friends, Le Dîner en Blanc has become a worldwide epicurean phenomenon. Dîner en Blanc – Paris now attracts over 10,000 people each year. What was a “friends and word-of-mouth only” event has grown into an international sensation celebrated on six continents. While the technology behind the event may have changed over the years, the principles fuelling this fantastic event have not: guests continue to gather at a secret location for the sole purpose of sharing a gourmet meal with good friends in one of their city’s most beautiful public spaces. Founded in 2012 and headquartered in Montreal, Canada, Dîner en Blanc International is responsible for developing this secret posh picnic in over 70 cities in more than 25 countries around the world. Each event is headed by passionate local organizers who fell in love with the concept and wanted to bring it to their city, giving this rendezvous a local flair. For more info and photos of Dîner en Blanc events from around the world, visit dinerenblanc.com.
For all official videos of Dîner en Blanc around the world, visit YouTube Le Dîner en Blanc.