AUGUST 30 – SEPT 9
A culinary journey around Catalonia, the Basque Country, and Rioja
I want to show you what’s behind my menu. Since I fell in love with Spanish food, I have been exploring every corner of Spain in order to bring the flavors of this country’s incredibly diverse, storied, and inspiring cuisine back to Portland.
And now you can join me and my friends Alex from Aborígens and Toro Bravo Chef de Cuisine Pat Manning to taste some of my favorite products and dishes while traveling through Spain from east to west — from Barcelona to San Sebastián — and ending up in Rioja. This is going to be a super gastronomic journey, limited to only twelve guests, from the Mediterranean to the Atlantic Coast where you will meet all sorts of artisan food producers, passionate winemakers, skilled fishermen, and renowned local chefs.
I got to meet and know the smart and savvy folks from Aborígens one dark, long night in Barcelona that started with too much vermouth (if that has ever existed). Together we have designed a once-in-lifetime itinerary of 11 days/10 nights (details below) taking place August 30th to September 9th, 2017.
A few words about the trip from our friends at Aborigens:
Barcelona & Catalonia highlights
- This group has a limited capacity, so hurry up and contact Aborígens to request further details about deposit and payment terms.
- Visit the vibrant show of a professional fish auction.
- Sea to table: enjoy a fresh seafood dinner on board a fishing boat.
- Wine for breakfast: experience first-hand what “esmorzar de forquilla” means.
- Rural heroes: explore the Catalan countryside and the best artisan food makers.
- F***k Michelin: a fine lunch by a chef who decided not to reach the (french) stars.
- Are you into bubbles? Taste the difference between cava vs. ancestral.
- Meet the pros: private wine, cheese and sausage tastings.
- Unexplored Barcelona: an evening at John Gorham’s favourites.
Basque Country highlights
- Anchovies are not pizza toppings. Learn about cured fish and taste the difference.
- Pintxos and potes: this is how Basques dine around.
- Cook with John Gorham at a private, exclusive gastronomic society. Serious eaters only.
- Txotx: it’s harvest season and cider producers need our help to press apples.
- Meet Euskal txerri pigs, a native breed recently recovered breed. Look happy and taste better.
- A food journey to the roots of an ancestral country: traditional, fine Basque cooking at a Michelin starred restaurant.
- Rioja highlightsThe iconic reds. Visit a renowned winery that represents the traditional way of understanding wine in Rioja
- Taste some traditional tempranillos from the Spanish D.O.
- Grilled milk-fed lamb and seasonal vegetables; no words needed to describe this mouth-watering local delicacy cooked in asadores.
- The new Rioja: meet the young and unconformist winemakers producing small scale without sulfites. Forget about rounded and balanced mass industry wines.
- August 30 – September 9, 2017
- 11 Days + 10 Nights program
- Designed and hosted by John Gorham and Aborígens
- Explore and taste the two hottest food destinations in Spain: from traditional cuisine to modern trends:
- 4 days in Barcelona
- 4 days in San Sebastián
- 3 days in Rioja
- Accommodation in 4* Hotels & Boutique apartments
- Limited spots: 12 guests only
- Domestic transfers included
- Airfares and travel insurance NOT included
- Rate per person: 4489€ (double occupancy) / for single occupancy, please contact Aborígens