Central Bowl Returns Bowling to the Heart of Portland
In the center of the city, one of Portland’s few remaining bowling alleys reopens following a seven-month mandatory closure
PORTLAND, Ore.––March 8, 2021––Central Bowl is back open for business at 808 SE Morrison St. in Portland, allowing up to 50 people at a time to bowl, dine and play arcade games, per Oregon Health Authority guidelines. One of the few remaining bowling alleys in the city, Central Bowl has been preparing for months to reopen and offer people a safe, fun experience.
Central Bowl is a combination of vintage bowling alley meets mid-century modern/contemporary food hall chic. The central Portland location and extensive food and drink selections make it an ideal choice for family and friends to bowl, play some arcade games, catch a sporting event on the giant screens, and enjoy dinner and cocktails in a safe, comfortable environment. Guests at the bowling alley can now order food from Central Kitchen Food Hall, featuring six diverse restaurant menus serving delicious food that’s scratch-made on site.
“We are so excited to welcome the community in,” said John Plew, Founder & CEO. “So many people are looking for a safe way to unwind and enjoy some food, drinks, and fun, and we’ve got all the ingredients for a great evening out.”
Central Bowl has established rigorous safety protocols so that guests can relax and enjoy themselves during their visit.
“Over the past year we’ve remained deeply committed to protecting the health and safety of our guests and our staff,” continued Plew. “The closure gave us time to be really thoughtful and ensure we’re covering all our bases, and we’ve trained our employees in taking care of our guests on a whole new level.”
Central Bowl’s safety and cleaning precautions include:
- Eight out of 12 lanes are currently in use to maintain social distancing
- Reservations are requested
- Group capacity is limited to 6 people or fewer
- Bowling shoes are sanitized before and after every use inside and out
- Bowling balls are sanitized inside and out, before and after every use with Micro Striker, an advanced house ball and multi-purpose cleaner for bowling centers
- Hand Sanitizer is provided at each bowling area for guests’ convenience
- Each designated lane area is equipped with one ball of each weight
- Every employee is being tested for COVID-19
- Rigorous daily deep clean and sanitization
Additional measures include:
- Plexiglas between dining booths
- Maintain six-feet social distancing dining
- Limit one person in the restroom at a time
- Employees have wellness check at start of each shift with temperatures electronically logged
- Reduced capacity of dine-in parties to 6 people or fewer
- Touchless web-based menus
- Tables and high-traffic touch points continuously sanitized
- All employees are required to wear masks
- Employees are prompted to wash hands at least every 15 minutes
- High-touch areas are disinfected at least every 15 minutes
The bowling alley, formerly Grand Central Bowling Lounge, was rebranded as Central Bowl & Arcade in conjunction with the October 2020 opening of Central Kitchen Food Hall, Portland’s first online food hall, offering both dine-in and curbside pickup options. Mandated gathering restrictions curtailed indoor operations almost immediately, while Central Kitchen continued to offer take-out from its six online food hall menus.
Guests are invited to come eat, play and bowl Monday through Thursday from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m., Friday from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m., and weekends from Noon to 10 p.m. Free parking is available underneath the building off SE 9th Ave (for dine-in) or at 816 SE 8th Ave. in one of the designated Central Kitchen parking spaces for curbside pickup.
About Concept Entertainment
Concept Entertainment is a hospitality management company based in Scottsdale, AZ. It has a firm commitment to providing extraordinary guest experiences and over 30 years of experience developing and operating creative restaurant, bar and entertainment concepts. Concept Entertainment currently manages 9 Thirsty Lion locations across Oregon, Arizona, Colorado, and Texas. CEGHospitality.com