For the first year, Portland Battled Seattle In An All-Star Meat Showdown
2012 Wild About Game Award-Winning Chefs:
- Overall Winner – Nathan Lockwood, Altura, Seattle, WA – Cavatellie and “Roosevelt Elk Crudo”
- People’s Choice – Gregory Gourdet, Departure, Portland, OR – Slow cooked Elk Tenderized in Orchard Milk, Fried Smoked Elk Heart Pie
- Quail Winner – Cormac Mahoney, Madison Park Conservatory, Seattle, WA – Wood Roasted Quail on Autumn Hash of Tails and Trotters Pancetta Lobster Mushrooms,Yakima Sweet Cream and Olympic Huckleberries
- Rabbit Winner – Chris Israel, Gruner, Portland, OR – Rabbit Choucroute: Rabbit Boudin Blanc, Speck Wrapped Rabbit Loin, Braised Hind quarter, Champagne braised Saurekraut
- Pheasant Winner – Carrie Mashaney, Spinasse, Seattle, WA – Pheasant Capunet with sweetbreads and huckleberry
- Elk Winner – Nathan Lockwood, Altura, Seattle, WA – Cavatellie and “Roosevelt Elk Crudo”
Chefs also demonstrated some impressive techniques using Nicky USA products. Gregory Denton of OX wowed the crowd with his Foie Gras Marshmallow; Anthony Cafiero of Ración used Tails and Trotters to create a souvied cheek, a pickled tongue and a pork belly powder; and Joseba Jimenez de Jimenez prepared a dish with Nicky Farms Water Buffalo.
2012 Wild About Game Cook-Off Chefs:
About Nicky USA:
Founded in 1990, Nicky USA is the Northwest’s leading distributor and processor of game birds and grass fed meats. The Portland-based company has forged relationships with local and international ranchers, as well as James Beard Award-winning chefs in an effort to make wild and farm-raised game a mainstay of specialty markets and fine restaurants. Nicky USA recently launched a specialty line of products called Nicky Farms, featuring Northwest raised rabbit, quail, emu, elk, fallow venison, water buffalo and American bison. Nicky Farms also has a line of specialty sausages that combine Northwest ingredients such as an elk sausage with wild huckleberries and Pinot Noir. Nicky USA hosts Wild About Game: an annual Iron Chef-style cooking competition and festival promoting sustainably raised game birds and grass fed meats. For more information, call Nicky USA at 503-234-4263 or visit www.nickyusa.com Follow NickyUSA on Twitter and Facebook.